Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hurricane Happy Hour

Monday was my first attempt at a new style of Happy Hour and I will always remember the winds and rain that accompanied it.

My section had their own hour before dinner with a variety of wine and diet sodas. Campus-wide happy hour is offered almost every day of the week in the retirement community I work in but the bar is too far of a walk for most of my residents. We had a great turn-out for our own socializing time and I've been collecting left-over goodies from activities so I also had an assortment of snacks to go with the drinks.



On Tuesday the power was out and the building ran only on generators. This meant a change of plans (I wasn't convinced that sewing in the poor light was such a good idea). I encouraged the residents to come to the better-lit better-warmed common areas to play cards, Rummikub, and do a puzzle. In the afternoon I gathered various teas and hot chocolate and offered every resident something hot to drink since the live performers scheduled to come in choose to stay safe and dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment