Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Monster Fingers

Today's kitchen/activities theme was "Wellness" rather than "Italy" or "Greece". For my part I didn't want to lecture about not eating so much fat, sugar, and salt. Instead I introduced the residents to the concept of eat this, not that. I brought in as many of David Zinczenko's books as I could check out from the library and we took turns sharing interesting facts about the foods we're drawn to. The take away message was to not let ourselves go even when we're snacking. Even in junk food there are better options than others.

After lunch I invited everyone to decorate toilet paper with me. Curiosity won many people over and I explained that we were decorating rolls to use as pins for a pumpkin bowling game we're hosting later this week. The results were almost too cute to knock over.    Almost.

After baking for the employees, the residents were disappointed we couldn't try the lemon cookies. Luckily I brought a snack for us to make: monster fingers. Pretzel sticks dipped in green baking chocolate and topped with almond slivers for fingernails. I even went around and drew "knuckles" with a knife.


Monster fingers turned out to be a victory treat because the Fall door decorating contest was today and my section won for "most spirited".

No comments:

Post a Comment