Saturday, October 6, 2012

Mad Men

In my job, as in my "other" life, I rely heavily on use of the library. I've become a good researcher in the catalog. When I worried about lack of music CD's from the 1940's I searched performers I recognized to see what compilation albums they might be on. For instance, I never would have thought to type in "Songs That Made Woody Allen Famous" but they really enjoyed that one. The CD we listened to yesterday was for a show called "Mad Men".  

Since I don't have TV, I've pieced together when I know about this from sewing websites with people immitating the clothes worn by the actors. My guess was that it was a show about the 1940's. When the show's CD came up from an "Ella Fitzgerald" search I wasn't sure what to expect.

We listen to songs during the music social to try to guess performer and song title. Usually, they do guess them or when I announce them everyone has an "ah-ha" moment. However, there were a few from the Mad Men CD that no one recognized. Then we came to a score with the same title as the show and I warned everyone that this was a new song, just listen to see if you like it.

Afterwards, I polled the residents. My goal was to see if this faux 1940's song appealed to people who lived in the 1940's and loved the music of the time. The results were mixed but less people liked it than did like it and a few could take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment