Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sometimes You Feel Like a Fagales, Sometimes You Don't

Our latest taste testing was of a variety of nuts. I brought in almonds, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds, walnuts, and pecans. I'm not sure if all of those belong to the taxonomic Order of "Fagales" but I wanted to use an unusual word to describe the activity. It caught the attention of a bunch handful of residents.

Everyone was given a piece of paper, pen, spoon, and napkin. I cut up the nuts into small pieces and doled out one at a time onto the spoon so they could eat it without seeing or feeling it. I encouraged the residents to name as many nuts as they could before we began testing so it would be easier to guess.

The person who guessed the most correctly got 2.5 right. Many people guessed coconut and pistachio much to my surprise. Afterwards we discussed favorite nuts and chestnuts got the most votes.

No comments:

Post a Comment