Saturday, August 11, 2012

S'more Days like this

Nothing particularly good happened today. Yet it was highly satisfying. I didn't get any impressive amounts of residents to come out of their rooms. Yet every person I did an activity with gave me a joyful experience.

  • I gardened with two farmers while chatting about keeping algae out of the pond of the new property I bought
  • I made s'mores pies for the workers with a man who's been having health issues. He didn't help much but we talked about his family and his favorite desserts and because I had no recipe I told him he was my good luck charm
  • I chanced upon a resident who really needed to take a walk while looking for a volunteer to help me pass out calendars
  • over my vacation I read "The girl with the dragon tattoo" for the book club that met today. the club is populated with residents who have many interesting things to say
  • Since book club ended early I spent some time getting a tour of a resident's room who loved my reaction to her new pants rack
  • a man I've been trying to lure out of his room for weeks finally came with me and kicked my butt during his first attempt at Wii bowling
Upon further reflection, some particularly good things did occur. I had time to get caught up on my e-mail. One of the farmers got me in contact with a man who is willing to play live music this month for free. The pants rack woman had a great suggestion for a lunch outing.

Perhaps the best part of today was remembering how wonderful the residents can be when you give them your time and attention.

The second best part were the pies.


No comments:

Post a Comment