Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Guilty of a Good Birthday

I don't consider myself good at thinking on my feet and when an activity material is misplaced or a location becomes unavailable I usually despair. However, when I couldn't find the news DVD I got inspired to change things for the benefit of a resident who was having her birthday the next day. She rarely comes to social events but I was already planning on inviting her since I was making special coffee (leftover from Italy day) and I knew she really enjoys a good cuppa. She did come, and I surprised her by announcing that instead of the news we'd be doing her favorite game: Judge for Yourself.

Simply, each card has a court case on one side which I read to everyone and then asked opinions. On the other side is the actual verdict. Although this resident is known for speaking to herself (often in riddles) during this game she had no trouble listening and following along and always had an opinion with a supporting idea. I think she is most interested because her grandson is a judge and she is very proud of him.

The resident was really happy with the morning. Later her family took her out for a birthday meal and I was happy for once that things went awry.

No comments:

Post a Comment