Saturday, February 9, 2013

Glenn Miller's Early (or SUPER Belated) Birthday

Last week I mentioned that Glenn Miller's birthday is coming up. As in one month from now on March 1st... In my mind, when it comes to activities, the future is all on the same mental playing field. For instance if I learn that you can make tortilla chips from tortillas I deliberate whether to do it on Mexican Independence day in September or Cinco De Mayo in May or for the Day of the Dead in November. They are all equal to me because when I come up with an idea I just need a place to put it. However, to one of my residents the future doesn't seem so broad and she was disappointed to think that she would need to wait 3 more weeks. I already got music for a special music social so I just told her we would celebrate early. I asked the room whether they had celebrated last year and everyone shook their heads. "We're just making up for lost time then!"

Typically I play one CD of music from the various artists so that the residents can guess the title, singer, and band. Friday was special because I brought in 58 Glenn Miller songs and just let them guess the title. To make time for all the songs I didn't play the whole thing, just enough of the music until someone was able to guess or it was clear no one could remember. I noticed that the color he mentions the most is blue. It went well and I would do this again with other musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment