Monday, July 16, 2012

Scrapbooking

When I found an empty scrapbook in a drawer one day, I got more than excited. I have found in my own life that scrapbooking is a meaningful way to record the past so you have good things to look back on. It shapes your memory and therefore gives you a chance to remember things in the way you'd like (and forget less pleasant things).

In some ways this can be bittersweet. When things change or things are lost looking back at the good times can be painful at first. But I believe the benefits outweigh the drawbacks and I knew scrapbooking was something I wanted to do in my job. It has gone over well so far. Especially I like that we can look at it when residents feel like we "never do anything fun".

My goal was to make about 1 page/month and so far we have been completing that goal. It prompts me to take more pictures at least. Today we had enough pictures and volunteers to do three pages, one of which was just the excitement of Royalty day. Each time our scrapbook committee meets different people come so the pages are in no way uniform. Actually, sometimes previous pages even get altered. At the end of 2012 our scrapbook will be a bit like the ancient Rome after a series of rulers has built, rebuilt, scratched out conquered rulers' names and replaced with their own, taken down other things completely, and left some things in a state of questionable finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment