Wednesday, July 25, 2012

It's All Greek to Me

Today was Mediterranean day throughout the building and I wanted to make sure my section got their share for the couple of hours I was there and not planning. I rented a CD called "Greek cafe" to play while I did an activity making name badges. Using a Greek text book I transliterated everyone's names as best I could to wear all day until the special Mediterranean dinner. I am not a student of Greek but I do love archery so to make it more authentic I dressed up like Athena.

not me
not me



me





Then we played a game that requires a lot of preparation but always goes over very well: "What's In the Bag?" I use a thin sleeping bag cover as a shield for a single object that a person must guess using touch alone. While the person closes their eyes I show everyone else "what's going in the bag" before dropping it in theatrically. Some things I brought in today were a package of Tums, spool, bookmark, and badminton birdy. I encourage residents to characterize what they are feeling so that even if they aren't familiar with the object they can still be rewarded for an accurate description. It also keeps everyone who isn't taking a turn interested and awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment