Sunday, December 30, 2012

Putting the Past in Order

I'm excited about an activity we put together today. Using index cards and a list of historic events we put a description of the events on one side, and the year it occurred on the other.

A game could be played with this by randomly drawing 4 cards and setting them up to show only the description. Then you "put the past in order" by moving the cards into a chronological sequence. You can check accuracy by turning them over to see the dates. I tried this out with a resident with memory difficulties and he did well because it was a matter of shuffling cards on the table rather than come up with exact dates on his own.

One reason I'm excited about this is it's an activity we can build on all year long. For instance, I added a card about Texas joining the union because of the Lone State trivia we had yesterday.

Another reason I'm excited about this is it can be personalized to include history about the residents themselves or simply the information they are most interested in. For instance, Joe might want cards about US presidents while Jennifer might want ones about famous painters.

The last reason I'm excited is this is another example of a fun thing I can use in my own life. For friends it can be a game we play that can be tailored to our preferences in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment