Sunday, February 4, 2018

Snow Flake

 


My partner's job transferred him, so I had to leave my old position in the capable hands of the woman I trained to fill in for me while I was on maternity leave. It was a very smooth transition since she was still covering for me during my leave.

Now I'm in a new state and I took my time to find a great position here as the Activity Director of a psychiatric geriatric facility. It is unique; the patients are constantly rotating, I don't do weekends or nights, and I am the only activity staff in my building. My job is clear cut,  the hours work with our daycare, and the paperwork is so reasonable. 

I have ample time to plan the six goal-oriented activities expected of me each day. The system I have used thus far is to pick a special theme for each day and tailor the activities to it. In January, for example, we had a Snowflake Day. Staff dressed in white, blue, or silver. We looked at a picture of a family walking through the snow as a discussion starter. And as an art project we cut holes in tortillas and decorated them with sprinkles. It is safe to say I am loving my new job! 

No comments:

Post a Comment