Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Haiku Day

On April 17th I was lucky enough to get to cover for one of my employees.

After exercise, we turned to our stickey poster board and the residents saw the word I had written at the top: "Haiku". I asked if anyone knew what this word meant ("Something Japenese?" "Very good Mr. Smith"). I asked them to guess how it was pronounced. ("High-coo?" "God Bless you, Mrs. Jones, do you need a tissue?")

We talked about the rules for making a Haiku poem, practiced counting the syllables in each of their names, then listened to a few examples.

Finally I asked them to look out of our window. "It's April this month, what sorts of things do we see outside only in April?" We made a list of words like April, green, rain, and tulips. Finally we wrote a Haiku together. After making sure each line was in order, I wrote it on a fresh page to stick to the door. The residents decorated the lines in Spring colors.

I can't share that one since we included the building's name, but here is another:

Behind our wood door

Laughing Among the Wrinkled

Activity Time

No comments:

Post a Comment