Monday, September 24, 2012

Apple Stamps

During a Flashbacks session (we're writing a book about what it was like to grow up in the past), we talked of making homemade beverages like root beer and apple cider. From recipes I've learned that true root beer can turn alcohol if left to ferment a bit longer and from the residents I've learned that apple cider can turn into vinegar if left too long. One woman described taking the apples to a press and coming home with a barrel and another made us laugh when she described a farm hand who "couldn't stay away from the family barrel".






For October decorations I knew I wanted apples and rather than investing in plastic molds I thought we'd just use some real fruit. As we went along I realized the cleanest way was to dip the halved apples in paint using forks. We also used some pears and by the end we all could have used cider and a trip to pick-your-own-farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment